Waterbury DUI Accident Attorney

Driving under the influence (DUI) of drugs or alcohol is a dangerous practice that drastically increases the risk of a car accident. If you or a loved one was injured in a recent DUI accident, our Waterbury DUI accident attorneys at the Law Offices of James A. Welcome can help. You may be eligible for financial compensation from the drunk driver’s insurance company or another party. Contact us today at (203) 753-7300.

Waterbury, Connecticut dui accident attorney

The Importance of Hiring a Waterbury DUI Accident Attorney

Drunk driving accidents often cause more serious injuries than standard car accidents. This is because drunk drivers are more likely to engage in reckless behaviors, such as excessive speeding or red-light running. This can increase the severity of the crash and the related damage. Serious car accident injuries deserve attention from a Waterbury DUI accident lawyer.

An insurance company does not want to offer fair financial compensation for a badly injured victim’s losses. It will want to save money by devaluing the claim or denying benefits altogether. To obtain the compensation you need to pay for your future medical needs and existing bills, you may need a Waterbury personal injury lawyer. An attorney can take steps such as gathering evidence and hiring experts to build a stronger claim on your behalf.

Civil vs. Criminal Liability for a DUI Accident

Driving under the influence is a crime in Connecticut. If a driver’s blood alcohol content level is at or above 0.08 percent, that driver is guilty of a DUI. The criminal penalties for DUI can include jail time, hefty fines and driver’s license suspension. It is the county that will bring charges against a driver for allegedly operating while impaired.

If a drunk driver causes a car accident in Connecticut, he or she can also face civil liability for the wreck, meaning his or her auto insurance provider is financially responsible for losses. Unlike a criminal case, it is up to you as the injured victim to file a civil lawsuit against a drunk driver.

A civil claim against a DUI driver in Waterbury can result in financial compensation for your past and future losses, such as vehicle repairs, medical bills and lost wages. You or your attorney, however, will have to prove the defendant is at fault for your wreck to be eligible for monetary damages.

How to Prove a Case Against a Drunk Driver

Proving a DUI accident case requires clear and convincing evidence that the driver was more than likely intoxicated and that this is what caused your accident. Evidence available to support your accident claim may include:

  • Field sobriety test results
  • Chemical and Breathalyzer tests
  • Police camera footage
  • Signed eyewitness statements
  • Photographs and videos at the scene

A Waterbury DUI accident lawyer can help you gather and present evidence in the pursuit of financial compensation for your past and future losses.

Dram Shop Liability Laws

Dram shop is the legal term for an alcohol vendor. It can refer to a bar, restaurant, club or liquor store. Connecticut’s dram shop law states that if a dram shop recklessly or intentionally overserved someone who was already visibly intoxicated and this person went on to cause a drunk driving accident, the dram shop could be financially responsible for the crash.

It is important to note that the dram shop law does not replace the DUI driver’s liability for the accident. It gives an injured accident victim an additional source of financial compensation. If the driver’s auto insurance policy does not have enough coverage to fully pay for the victim’s losses, for example, holding the dram shop responsible can lead to greater compensation.

Schedule a Free Consultation Today

If you were recently injured in a DUI accident in Waterbury, Connecticut, contact the Law Offices of James A. Welcome for a free consultation. Our multilingual attorneys speak English, Spanish, and Portuguese. Discuss your case in detail with one of our experienced Waterbury DUI accident lawyers today at (203) 753-7300.