Waterbury Slip and Fall Accident Attorney

A slip and fall accident can cause painful injuries that require expensive medical care and force you to take time off of work. If the owner of the property reasonably could have prevented your fall, that person or party may be financially responsible for the related expenses you incurred. Find out how the Law Offices of James A. Welcome can help you today by calling (203) 753-7300.

At the Law Offices of James A. Welcome, our Waterbury slip and fall accident lawyers can answer your legal questions about a slip and fall lawsuit. We can take over your case and fight for fair results using our legal knowledge and more than 17 years of experience.

When to Contact a Waterbury Slip and Fall Injury Attorney

When an insurance company receives a slip and fall injury claim, its legal team actively tries to find reasons to deny or diminish the client’s payout. Unless you have a legal background, you need an experienced Waterbury slip and fall attorney to prevent an insurer from taking advantage of you. Your lawyer will fight for the full extent of financial compensation you are entitled to by law. A Waterbury slip and fall injury lawyer can help you recover the money you need to pay for current and future medical care, including physical therapy and rehabilitation.

When Is a Slip and Fall Accident Grounds for a Lawsuit?

Slip and fall accident cases take the form of premises liability lawsuits. Premises liability is a legal doctrine that states that a property owner is responsible for accidents that take place on his or her premises. For the premises liability law to apply to a slip and fall accident, there must be evidence that the defendant more likely than not could have prevented the fall but carelessly or recklessly failed to do so.

You may have grounds for a lawsuit if your slip and fall was caused by a property defect that the owner should have remedied, such as:

  • An uncleaned spill
  • Food debris
  • A leaky pipe
  • Ice or snow
  • Uneven sidewalk
  • Defective staircase
  • Loose carpet
  • Exposed cords

In order to build a valid claim to damages, you or your attorney generally must prove that the owner of the property was negligent in preventing your accident. This means the property owner knew or reasonably should have known about the defect and had a reasonable amount of time to fix the defect, but failed to do so. An experienced premises liability lawyer can help you prove your case.

Common Slip and Fall Accident Injury Types

Slip and fall accidents send about one million people in the U.S. to emergency rooms each year. Accidents can cause serious and debilitating injuries, including broken bones and muscle or ligament injuries. Many serious injuries are associated with slip, trip and fall accidents in Connecticut, including:

  • Head trauma
  • Skull fractures
  • Traumatic brain injuries
  • Concussions
  • Lacerations
  • Broken hips
  • Broken or sprained wrists
  • Elbow injuries
  • Knee injuries
  • Soft-tissue injuries
  • Spinal cord injuries

These injuries can require thousands of dollars in medical care, such as x-rays, surgeries, braces or casts, medications, and medical devices. The property owner may be responsible for paying for these costs, as well as other losses associated with the accident, such as lost wages and pain and suffering. A Waterbury personal injury lawyer can help you establish the defendant is at fault by proving that he or she reasonably should have prevented your slip and fall accident.

Contact Waterbury Attorney James A. Welcome Today

If you recently slipped and fell in a grocery store, shopping mall, bank, workplace, parking lot or a friend’s house, contact the Law Offices of James A. Welcome for a free consultation. We can listen to your story and let you know if you have the elements for a claim. If so, we can help you go up against a property owner or insurance corporation in pursuit of the financial compensation you deserve. For more information about your recent slip and fall accident and legal options, contact us at (203) 753-7300 now.