USCIS Extends Green Card Validity Extension

Posted on 04/24/23

Green Card Validity Extension

If you’re struggling with long processing times on Forms I-829 and I-751 impacting your resident status, you may appreciate this news. The U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) recently extended the validity of Permanent Resident Cards (green cards) for those who correctly file the Petition by Investor to Remove Conditions on Permanent Resident Status (Form I-829) or the Petition to Remove Conditions on Residence (Form I-751). Here is what you need to know about the USCIS green card validity extension program. 

Eligibility for the New Green Card Extension Provision

The extension program may apply to you if you filed Form I-829 or Form I-751 to remove conditions on your green card or Permanent Resident Status and are still waiting on processing times. While waiting on the petition under the EB-5 Program, you can be granted a 48-month extension beyond your green card’s prior expiration date. USCIS plans to issue receipt notices to eligible residents who’ve previously been given notices that are shorter than this 48-month extension, and to people with still-pending cases. 

If you’re stressed about processing times on your filings approaching your nearing expiration date, you may qualify for one of the above extensions. If you need help understanding your immigration status, Connecticut immigration attorneys at the Law Offices of James A. Welcome can help.

When Did the Extension Go into Effect?

The Form I-829 extension began on January 11, 2023, and the Form I-751 extension began on January 25, 2023. If you recently filed either of these forms and meet the necessary qualifications, your extension should already be in effect. Understanding how to properly file this information to protect your rights under United States law can feel overwhelmingly complex, so you may wish to meet with an experienced immigration attorney to ensure that you complete each step correctly.  

How To Extend Your Green Card Validity

The USCIS green card validity extension occurs automatically for qualifying individuals. If you filed the forms correctly, USCIS will send you receipt notices in the mail. You can use these receipt notices with your expired green card for 48 months to show evidence of your legal continued status while your case remains pending. 

By presenting the receipts with your green card, you can continue working and traveling in the United States for up to 48 months after your green card expires. Note that if you plan to leave the U.S. for more than one year before returning, you may have to apply for a reentry permit before you leave for your trip. You can apply for Form I-131 (the Application for Travel Document) to do so. 

Speak With an Experienced Immigration Attorney Today

Immigrating to the United States can be an overwhelmingly complex process. One minor issue in your paperwork, or the paperwork of a loved one, can delay everything. Understanding your eligibility for different extension programs that make the process easier can help you enjoy a stress-free experience. 

At the Law Offices of James A. Welcome, we have over 18 years of experience helping clients navigate all different complex immigration scenarios. Our professional legal team can help you with the following:

  • Applying for a Permanent Residence Card and citizenship
  • Navigating political asylum
  • Defending deportation claims
  • Applying for family visas
  • Seeking immigrant juvenile protection
  • Submitting all integral immigration forms correctly and on time
  • Expediting application paperwork when necessary
  • Appealing any denials that arise
  • Attending trials when necessary
  • Acting as a mediator between you and U.S. immigration authorities
  • Providing answers, advice, and support throughout the entire process

Whether you want to learn more about the USCIS green card validity extension or need help navigating any other immigration process, we can help. Call the Law Offices of James A. Welcome at 203-753-7300 to speak with one of our team’s experienced immigration attorneys in Danbury, Waterbury, Norwalk, Torrington, or West Hartford, Connecticut.