Personal Injury Lawyer Explains if You Can Sue a Minor for a Car Accident in Norwalk

Posted on 12/26/23

Sue a Minor for a Car Accident in Norwalk

Car accidents involving minors can become complicated quickly. Many accident victims wonder how they should proceed with seeking compensation from a minor: do they contact the child’s parents? Do minors have special rights under Connecticut law?

The Law Offices of James A. Welcome addresses the question: “Can you sue a minor for a car accident in Norwalk?” 

Suing Minors for a Car Accidents in Connecticut

The answer to “Can you sue a minor for a car accident?” is that “it depends.” Several factors affect a car accident victim’s ability to sue, and the at-fault driver being a minor at the time of the accident complicates these factors.

Judges or juries determine on a case-by-case basis whether minors under 16 years of age are in violation of a statutory duty and may not allow a victim to proceed with a lawsuit. However, drivers are typically at least 16, so this rule may not apply to the majority of car accident cases. 

Connecticut’s Lawsuit Threshold for Car Accident Cases

Aside from whether or not the driver was a minor, accident victims need to determine whether their case meets Connecticut’s lawsuit threshold. Connecticut requires car accident cases to meet certain requirements before a driver can bring the case to court rather than just seek compensation through an insurance claim. 

The lawsuit threshold, sometimes called the verbal threshold or dollar threshold, requires the injured party in an auto accident to have incurred at least $15,000 before they can file a lawsuit.

Filing an Insurance Claim Against a Minor 

Even minors must meet Connecticut’s car insurance requirements to operate a vehicle. Connecticut requires all drivers to have the following minimum liability insurance coverage:

  • $25,000 per person for bodily injury
  • $50,000 per accident for bodily injury
  • $25,000 per accident for property damage

If the minor is deemed at fault in an accident, the other driver can seek compensation by filing a claim with the minor’s auto insurance company. But if the minor driver did not have insurance, their parents or guardians may be financially responsible under Connecticut’s parental responsibility laws. 

Call The Law Offices of James A. Welcome in Norwalk, CT

Can you sue a minor for a car accident in Norwalk, CT? Probably, but accidents involving minors are more complicated than typical accident cases. Victims considering taking legal action against a minor should seek legal assistance.

The Law Offices of James A. Welcome has extensive experience across complex car accident cases. Accident victims can call 475-256-5349 for a free consultation.