Frequently Asked Immigration Questions

Get Answers From Experienced Lawyers on Immigration

Immigration is a specific area of law that is constantly shifting and changing. Complex social issues are continuously influencing and shaping the way that federal, state, and local governments handle immigration matters. As a result, immigration law can be confusing and could result in more questions than answers. If you are currently involved in an immigration matter, it may be in your best interest to become informed of the issues that could potentially influence your case. Call the Law Offices of James A. Welcome at (203) 753-7300.

Our Connecticut immigration attorneys have prepared a listing of some of the most frequently asked questions that we receive about immigration law. Addressing common concerns can help shed a bit of light on many of the issues that can arise in an immigration case. Each of our lawyers is dedicated to providing skilled and effective legal counsel that is designed to remedy the toughest and most complex issues.

If you have concerns, the Law Offices of James A. Welcome is here to answer your questions!

Have More Questions? Call Us At (203) 753-7300!

Attorney James A. Welcome is a member of the American Immigration Lawyers Association and the National Trial Lawyers Association. He has handled nearly every type of immigration issue, including federal immigration issues and deportation cases. We would be happy to schedule an appointment for a consultation to discuss your case in confidence. Call us today to learn more about the legal options that may be available to your specific immigration issue.

If you have more questions, do not hesitate to contact the Law Offices of James A. Welcome.

¡Se habla español! Nós falamos Portugues! 

What are deportable offenses?

The United States Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) is the leading agency to investigate, arrest, and remove undocumented immigrants. When an undocumented immigrant violates immigration laws, the result could involve arrest and removal. There are several types of offenses that can result in deportation, including crimes of moral turpitude, felony crimes, petty or misdemeanor crimes, smuggling, marriage fraud, and other general crimes.

What is a green card and how can I obtain one?

For individuals seeking to become a permanent resident in the United States, a green card will be necessary. Green cards give an individual status as a permanent resident of the country in which they reside. The process of obtaining a green card can be time-consuming and confusing, but can generally be obtained through family or business relations, through refugee status, through the diversity visa “lottery,” or another qualifying way.

How long can I stay in the country with a student visa?

Upon entering into the U.S. with a student visa (F-1 or M-1), you can stay in the country and pursue your studies until the given expiration date shown on your form. If you violate the immigration laws resulting in a removal hearing, however, you will be deported and you will be required to leave the country immediately. If you finish your studies within the expiration timeframe and you wish to stay in the country after graduation, you will need to speak with an attorney to determine the best course of action to help you avoid a violation of your visa.

Do I have rights as an undocumented immigrant?

While undocumented immigrants typically do not enjoy all of the rights granted to American citizens under the Constitution, they still have constitutional protections. Under the protection of the 5th and 14th Amendments, you have the right to receive notice for a lawsuit and you have the right to defend yourself from deportation. Among your constitutional rights, you will have other rights, protections, and defenses available to you. Above all, you will have the right to seek legal representation.

Why should I hire an attorney?

If you have been discriminated against in the workplace or if you have been detained for deportation, it will be crucial to have a knowledgeable lawyer at your side to represent your rights in court. In addition, even legal paperwork to apply for a visa can be deeply complex. Speaking with a lawyer who has the background, experience, and knowledge will be crucial in achieving the best possible outcome in your particular case.