Workers’ Compensation FAQ

Discuss Your Case with a Connecticut Workers’ Compensation Attorney

At the Law Offices of James A. Welcome, we understand that this time in your life may be difficult. Without the representation of the right attorney, you could be facing an uphill battle when trying to obtain workers’ compensation. When you retain the assistance of our firm, we will diligently work to provide you with highest amount of compensation that you deserve. We understand that you may have many questions and concerns regarding your rights and eligibility to file a claim and our firm can guide you through the entire process.

Below, we have compiled some of the most commonly asked questions regarding workers’ compensation. If you find yourself still seeking answers, do not hesitate to contact a Connecticut workers’ compensation lawyer from our team right away.

What Exactly Is Workers’ Compensation?

Under Connecticut law, employers are required to have workers’ compensation insurance to compensate an employee in the event they sustain a work-related injury or develop an illness or condition arising from their line of work. The insurance company will pay out the benefits.

What Types of Benefits Can I Receive?

There are numerous benefits involved with workers’ compensation, including (but not limited to):

  • Payment of a portion of wages that you may have lost due to your illness or injury
  • Death benefits paid to the family of an individual who died while on the job
  • Burial benefits and funeral expenses
  • Medical benefits for injuries and illnesses that are related to your job

Who Is Eligible for Workers’ Compensation?

While each situation will vary, there are a few basic requirements for determining eligibility for workers’, which include:

  • Working for a company that carries workers’ compensation insurance
  • Your injury or illness must be directly related to your job

To determine your eligibility, you need to contact the Law Offices of James A. Welcome.

What Do I Do if I Get Injured on the Job?

Report an injury to your supervision immediately. If it is an illness or condition that developed over a period of time, notify a supervisor upon discovering it is connected to work. Prompt reporting of a workplace injury can allow the process to occur at a quicker pace. If your injury or condition demands it, go seek emergency treatment at a medical facility.

Finally, you need to file out a claim for your injury or condition and submit it to your employer. Our lawyers can help ensure everything is in order. In some instances, an employer or insurance company may attempt to underplay your injury, and our attorneys can work to get adequate coverage for you.

How Long Do I Have to File a Claim?

The statutes of limitations for a claim under state law are one year from the date of an injury and three years from the start of noticeable symptoms of a disease or condition.

Can I Be Fired for Filing a Claim?

No, it is against the law for an employer to discriminate or retaliate in any manner against an employee who filed a claim. If you have been fired, please consult with our attorneys to see if there are grounds for a wrongful termination suit.

How Long Does It Take to Process a Claim?

Each case is different, and it may take as little as 3 business days and up to a month for a claim to be processed. Ensuring that the forms are filled out properly in advance can help, and working with the Law Offices of James A. Welcome can assist in expediting what could otherwise be a lengthy process.

Do I Need an Attorney or Can I Settle a Workers’ Compensation Case?

Yes! You should never attempt to face the workers’ compensation process alone. Working with an attorney can be highly beneficial to you and your situation and we encourage you to retain the representation of our team right away.

What Happens if I Cannot Return to Work Right Away?

Although your employer is likely anxious to get you back to work, they are obligated to continue payments until a settlement is reached or until the judge issues an order. If you return to the same job you held previously, you will not receive any more wage payments. However, if you return to the company but in a different job capacity at a different wage, you may still receive partial workers’ compensation benefits.

What Do I Do if My Claim Was Denied?

If you have been denied a claim, you need to immediately contact an attorney who can help determine why your claim was denied and help appeal the claim. We will thoroughly review all documents pertaining to your case and ensure that your rights are protected.

My Employer Says That I Am an Undocumented Immigrant, Am I Still Able to
Receive Compensation?

This situation can be sensitive and only an experienced attorney should assist you in addressing a complex matter of this nature. When you work with our firm, we will look into the specifics of your case, including your injuries, the accident, and why the business was employing an undocumented worker. Because your situation is unique, it is important that you work with the Law Offices of James A. Welcome as soon as possible.

Can Employers Hide from Paying Workers’ Compensation Insurance?

In some cases, employers may try to evade paying workers’ compensation insurance; however, this is illegal and should be discussed with an experienced attorney who can work to hold them accountable.